Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stacey's great! She makes us chocolate cake!

I almost forgot about 'Stacey's great! She makes us chocolate cake!' I used to work at Camp Loll, a Boy Scout camp. This may be the very beginning of where my passion for making desserts came from.

Every Thursday, we, the cooks, would make a spaghetti lunch and dinner. Lunch for the Scout Masters, and dinner for the Staff. Chocolate cake went with each spaghetti meal. I always wanted to make the cake, and the girls (xoxo) graciously let me. The assistant Camp Director (CG) would come in and cheer 'Stacey's great! She makes us chocolate cake! each time it was made. Who wouldn't get addicted to that? =) And if he happened to forget, I would remind him. Thanks CG.


So, I'm going to share this recipe for chocolate cake. It is absolutely the best homemade chocolate cake I've ever made. I got this recipe from my most favorite book in the world, entitled '100 BEST DESSERT RECIPES' from Good Housekeeping. I borrowed this book from the Library, a year or 2 ago, and hated to return it. I checked it out several times, until I gave in and bought one for about 3 bux on Amazon. (I love that place) I mean, one of my most favorite things to do is to make a dessert for someone, because #1 I love to see it in their faces 'oh I can't wait to try some of that'. Then #2 of course, is to see a look of satisfaction in their faces, and hear the mmmmmm's. I aim for it to look irresistible, and taste as good as they thought it would.


Easy Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans or 10-inch Bundt pan. Dust pans with cocoa. (I watched a tip on youtube that showed the baker using a cooking spray with flour in it. I used that instead of 'grease' and cocoa. I've never had cakes come out so easily)

2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

3. In separate bowl, with wire whisk (not an electric mixer), mix buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

4. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans or evenly into a Bundt. Bake about 30 min for 9-inch layers, 40 minutes for Bundt, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run thin knife around edges to loosen layers from sides of pan. Or, if using Bundt pan, run tip of knife around edges to loosen cake from side and center tube of pan. Invert onto racks to cool completely. Frost as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment