Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grandma's Apple Pie
Brit wanted to make a cherry pie for the County Fair.  I insisted that mother knows best, and though, I prefer cherry pie, I felt that apple pie was more on the path to a blue ribbon.  Judging is tomorrow, so we'll see.

Great grandma Johnson, rest her soul, was famous for her apple pie in these parts =) So naturally I needed the recipe.  So, without further ado, here it is:

Grandma's Apple Pie

6-8 apples peeled, cored, sliced/diced (Grandma Johnson says that Great Grandma Johnson most likely used Jonathan apples.  I used pink lady)
2 Tb flour
dash of nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into prepared pie crust.  Dot with butter.  Cover with top crust, making slits in top or cutting out shapes.  Sprinkle top crust with sugar.  Bake @400 for 50 minutes. I lay a piece of foil on top for the first 20 minutes to prevent over browning.

Grandma J's Pie Crust (makes 3-4 single crusts)

2 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 tsp flour
cold water


Cut shortening into flour until combined. Add the cold water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together forming a dough. Bring the dough together into a ball.  Do not over mix.  Also, too wet is better than too dry.
Roll dough out onto a floured surface to desired thickness.

Never hesitate to ask questions.  I'm still new to this blogging thing, and I know how to make it.  But I wonder if I left some critical instruction out for someone who may be completely knew to this pie making process.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment