Monday, August 27, 2012

Waffle/French Toast/Pancake Topping


I'm pretty excited to share this recipe with you.  I'm back on track...again ;) to a healthier way of life.  Part of what this means for me is NO REFINED SUGAR.  

So, today is meatless Monday, which often means BREAKFAST for dinner =) 

Tonight I just made waffles: Krusteaz (don't tell anyone) and I added water of course, chopped walnuts and 2 eggs for protein (remember it's meatless Monday, so no bacon or sausage) to about 3 cups of dry mix, enough for my family.  That made 10 single squares.  

So, what are you going to put on your waffle?  Syrup?  High fructose sugary syrup?  Well, not if you're cutting out sugar.  So! I bought some berries, plain Greek yogurt (more protein!), and natural maple syrup.  Technically that has sugar, but no refined or added sugar.  It's natural 100% maple.  On a side note, there's a lovely little book called Miracle on Maple Hill that explains a lot about natural maple.  It's a children's book, fiction, but I don't know if I would've discovered natural maple if not for this book.   
Enough!  Here is the recipe for what I consider 2 servings.

Breakfast Topping

1/2 cup - 3/4 cup Greek yogurt. Plain
1 cup berries (I used a mix of strawberries and raspberries)
2 Tb natural maple

Blend!  You're done =) Pour over waffles, french toast, or pancakes.

For a sugar free breakfast/dinner you don't get tastier or easier than that.  The magic bullet works great for this little job. No added sugar and no guilt in my opinion. I didn't even butter my waffles tonight. Right on!  I hope you'll try it, and I'll try to get a picture for you in the future.  Sorry, I wasn't prepared for that tonight.  This post was just sort of spur of the moment and well, I had to taste it first. =)       

 

1 comment:

  1. It looked so delicious when Hailey was eating it & I told her maybe I would try it sometime so I'm glad u posted the recipe!

    ReplyDelete